Sunday, September 16, 2007

Oh boy, oh boy!

Would you believe it? I'm on the button band! With any luck, I'll block this bad boy today. Holy cow, I can't believe I'm almost done with Sesame. And with the button/hole bands in, it's finally looking like it'll fit me just fine as they gave me another 2 or so inches on either side. Wooohoo! Of course, I managed to screw up the actual button holes slightly by working the 9th CO stitch instead of PSSO with them, so I did a quick decrease on the way back as I realized it, of course, after I'd worked all the button holes. In my defense, I'll just point to the fact that the pattern just says to slip one stitch over the other, but not off the needle. My brain should've kicked in to realize this would leave me with extra stitches though. Anyway, no big, a decrease at each hole and I was back in business. I also stopped in at the LYS earlier in the week to check out their button collection. Moon also came with as her mom finished up her cardigan so Moon was on the button prowl. She picked out some really groovy slate grey buttons that have a sort of iridescence to them. Very cool but a bit expensive at £2.25 (~$4.50) a pop. For myself, I scoped out these cool wooden buttons that have a bit of a swirl cut into them. I think they may be a bit too dark though; I need to take some of the yarn with me next time (maybe later today). If not those, they had some snazzy toggles in a natural wood color which I liked as well. We shall see.

I used the cable cast on for the first time ever when working the button holes. Not bad but a bit of a pain in the ass with that slip knot at the front--no matter how I tightened it up, it always stretched out leaving that one stitch a bit too loose for my liking. I wonder wouldn't it be possible to just cable CO with an existing stitch already on the needle? Surely that has to be better than using a slip knot stitch for the first. By the way, am I ever so glad Tara got me Charmed Knits for my bday--hooray for having techniques in a book instead of having to log on to KSOS when I don't feel like turning my comp on. (Please to note, I am rather nearly completely knitting book-less since the majority are home in the States.) Not only was I able to learn the cable CO method, I was able to learn that I seamed the shoulders together incorrectly. *headdesk* I used mattress stitch instead of backstitch right along the cast off row. Mind you, this doesn't mean I'm going to go in and correct this as 1) that would require extra work I'm just too lazy to put in, and 2) I rather like the pseudo, 'defined purl' row look it gives the shoulders. I'll stick in a wooden hanger when I block it and that should help round that out some.

Speaking of blocking, I have no blocking pins with me and forgot to check how much they are at the LYS, or even if they carry them. Granted, I can't use the excuse of having left pins at home as I just do not own any. The only blocking I've ever done on any of my FOs has been on felted projects so, you know, a shoe box here, a couple of plastic bags there. Think I can get away without using pins?

Well, that ends today's rambly ramble. Hope you've enjoyed. With any luck, I'll update with pictures next time! I think I'll also look for a pretty black yarn for the shawl/shrug cover thing I need to create for the Bro's wedding. Thanks for all the links and suggestions last time! You guys just rock.

3 comments:

TheBlackSheep said...

Duuuude! Way cool!

Re the button holes, all roads lead to Rome baby. As long as it looks good, imho it makes no difference how you arrived there.

Re buttons, ouch. Sharp reminder that buttons used to be a status symbol.

I have never liked that slip-knot thingy. Of course, I've never actually done any other CO except the normal one. I am unadventurous.

Do you have pics of your seam? I'm wondering how that looks. The very first sweater I did I matress-stitched, but ws-out. The pattern said to. It was wrong. The matress-stitch finish should be flat. Bug again, if it looks good, go for it.

Re Blocking. I've never liked the pin method. It doesn't really seem to do a whole lot. I usually just form and leave it to dry, unless I'm desperate. Of course, I am unadventurous and have never knit much that has actual shape to it.

Thanks for the comments on the hat/cowl. It was all very funny, after the fact at least :P I'm just pleased she can actually wear them.

TheBlackSheep said...

Oh yeah, yes, those are pink cross bones. Adara sent me that when she sent me the pink fluffy bunny. That reminds me, I'll have to link her to that entry so she can see the pics. I told her I had plans for that. :)

Tara said...

I'm probably too late, but I disagree with Blackie there and say that pins are CRUCIAL to blocking properly. If you have to shape your piece at all , especially when a little stretching is involved, pins are critical for making it hold its place. On silly things like scarves, etc it's not necessary, imo, but for a sweater, yes definitely. :)