Saturday, August 25, 2007

Sesame neck

Well, I've been cruising along on Sesame this week while taking thinking breaks from writing, or at night once I've finished worked for the day. I've got the back panel nearly complete and am at the neck shaping, only I've hit a bit of a snag.

The pattern says:

Neck shaping: Working each side at the same time - work 22 (22, 23, 24, 25) sts. Place the next 28 (28, 30, 30, 30) stitches on a holder. With a second ball of yarn, work remaining 22 (22, 23, 24, 25) sts. Dec 1 st at neck edge every row twice; 20 (20, 21, 22, 23) sts remain. Work even until armhole measures 8 (8, 8.25, 8.5, 9)" / 20 (20, 21, 21.5, 23)cm.

Shoulder shaping: Cast off 10 (10, 10, 11, 11) sts at each armhole edge, work 1 row even, then cast off rem 10 (10, 11, 11, 12) sts at armhole edge.

I've worked the 20 sts on either side of the neck and done the decreases called for:

Sesame neck


only I've still got those 28 sts on the holder, as the picture shows. The pattern says to 'work even' blah blah so my instinct is telling me to start reworking those stitches on the holder, but as I'm not sure, I've stopped:

Sesame neck in progress


As you can see, I'm currently working the WS. My doubt really arises from the instructions for the shoulder shaping since it only says to cast off 20 sts total along the armhole edges. So, what about the 28 sts along the neckline??

Help? I'm sure this is all fairly basic but as it's my first sweater, I really don't want to screw this up.

ETA: I just peeked at mariknits' pics of her finished Sesame and *think* I've figured it out. Will this be solved by:

Neck finish: With right side of work facing, starting with yarn A, pick up and knit 4 sts from right front neck holder, 20, (20, 20, 22, 25) sts from right front neck edge, 3 (3, 3, 4, 4) sts from right back neck edge, 28 (28, 30, 30, 30) sts from back neck holder, 3 (3, 3, 4, 4) sts from left back neck edge, 20 (20, 20, 22, 25) sts from left front neck edge, and 4 sts from left front neck holder; 82 (82, 84, 90, 96) sts. Work 36 rows in 2x2 rib stripe pattern. Cast off loosely in ribbing.

If so, hurray! And gawd I feel like an idiot. *hd*

3 comments:

TheBlackSheep said...

Hee hee! Don't you just love patterns? I think you've gotten it, but you're meant to work the shoulders separately, finishing those off, and then do the neck. That's how both my sweaters have been done anyway.


Looks like your stitching is nice and even. I like the colour too (if it's the Forest Green it appears to be in the pics. Sometimes colours can be a bit difficult when photographed)

And thanks for your comments! Yes, you should get into the phone knitting habit. You'd be surprised at how much you get done that way! Got half a sock done at the doctors the other day as I had to wait. At least it wasn't wasted time.

Mari said...

yup. Leave the stitches on the holder until everything is done and then they will get picked up when you begin the collar (or neck). You will need to attach yarn to work one of the shoulders.

It is looking good. I love the color.

Tara said...

Ditto what the others have said. You go back and do the collar after. :)

In response to your comment on my blog: I went with the felted needle case called Kable from Berocco. It's listed in my Ravelry WIPs - it's the one that has the cables *shocking* that hold the needles in place. I should be done with the knitting within the next couple of days and then will tackle the sewing of the cabled strips onto the felted body. If it doesn't go well, I will definitely let you know and see if you can con your mom into doing it for me! :D