Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fried

Gawd I'm so tired. My next door neighbors decided to get drunk and argue all night last night. And I was really looking forward to getting a good night's sleep so I could straighten up the flat and run some errands before sitting down to knit.

Instead, I'm walking around like a zombie (well, sitting actually, heh). I woke up to a cold and rainy day (no errands for me then; I don't feel like lugging around groceries etc in the rain), a missing potted rose from my balcony, and the other knocked over. My foggy brain tried to figure out if the roses had been victims to the drunken neighbors or the wind. This meant going downstairs to ask another neighbor if my rose was in her garden. Luckily, I stopped to get the mail first and my potted rose was in the foyer so I guess it had fallen downstairs and she wasn't sure which of the flats above her it belonged to. So I got fully dressed for nothing (as opposed to comfy, rainy day clothes). Ah well. Mystery solved. I've now got a load of laundry in, and I plan to at least move things off the couch; the rest of the flat will have to wait til I'm more awake.

In knitting news, though, I've finished my socks, hurray! Actually, I finished them last weekend but haven't had a chance to come ramble about them. No mistakes with the second sock and I was able to work in a whole bunch of scraps of left over yarn into the leg of this one. Sleepy Socks I also tried a different method for adding in a new yarn. Rather than slip knotting the new yarn on to the end of the strand that's finishing, I held the new yarn against the old and worked the two strands in together for a few stitches before dropping the old one. This is probably not a new method for anyone else, but I was well chuffed with it. Huzzah! Thank you Betsy McCarthy! (I found that trick in Knit Socks!) Sleepy Sock 2 The socks are now in the machine being washed after their first week as sleeping socks.

I've decided my next project will be Sesame by Melissa Wehrle. At first I had thought of doing the stripes, but I changed my mind when I realized, hello! first sweater here. I don't need to worry about weaving in umpteen ends on top of seaming the whole thing together. Seaming is my biggest fear as the only time I seamed anything was my legwarmers last year. The result wasn't too heinous but it was tedious as all get out. TheBlackSheep suggested I knit it in the round and if I could figure out how to convert the pattern I would (*failz at knitting math*). Part of me thinks I should do it in pieces though so I know how to do that if needed later. I can always figure out how to knit sweaters in the round later. (Heh, that's kinda like my 'I'll figure out how to do fair isle knitting later.' :p But that's a long story better left off for another time.)

Oh! I almost forgot. TheBlackSheep sent me kewl socks for my birthday. Columbine Peaks by Cat Bordhi. Tres nifty and so friggin soft! Columbine Peaks Columbine Peaks 2
Aren't they purty??

Well, I'm off to find comfy rainy day clothes and start casting on my first sweater. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Mari said...

Enjoy your rainy day knitting! And the socks look great. Both pairs. :)

TheBlackSheep said...

Well, you're safe with that sweater Pen. You can't knit it in the round as it's a cardi :D You could knit back and forth up to the armpits and then just work the front and back separately, depends a bit on how the sleeves are done. I'll have to take a good look at the pattern. Should have before I started babbling I suppose. It's a cute sweater though!

Sorry about the neighbours. Still, at least you have one nice one who put your rose in the foyer for you. I'd invest in a good set of earplugs if I were you. :(

Thanks about the socks! :D