Monday, August 6, 2007

More on the socks .... and felting!

What do you know? I got sucked into Harry Potter and all things related. I went down to London the week of the book release and attended Sectus, an HP fandom conference, and was there for the madness of a midnight release party! I've never done that before as I usually just order from Amazon. Aside from getting sucked into the book and trying to keep my bearings in the fandom aftermath, I also visited John Keats' house, Charles Dickens' house, the British Library, and St. Paul's Cathedral. It was a lot of fun but would someone please tell me why I forgot to take my knitting?!

The second sock is now in the gusset stage (finally!) so I'm starting to think ahead to my next project. I brought yarn with me for two known projects and also sock yarn for boredom/emergency purposes, as I've said before. One of these projects is a Lucy Bag which requires felting. This is all well and good except that my washing machine here is not top loading. And I've never manually felted anything in a sink or bucket or anything. Has anyone got any tips? Can felting be done in a front loading machine?

3 comments:

TheBlackSheep said...

You forgot your knitting???? You clearly aren't obsessed enough. I'd have had to go buy emergency needles and yarn.

Wait until you get home to felt? That's what I do :D

Mari said...

Hey Pen. Here are some links that were given to me when I had the same exact question. Supposedly, it can be done!

http://www.woolcrafting.com/felting-in-a-front-load-washing-machine.html

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35925

Sandra said...

mari, you gorgeous lady, thank you for those links!!! I'll let you know how it turns out! *smooches*