Thursday, September 16, 2010

murphy's law

I suppose it was inevitable that the day after I posted about my Fabulous Knitting Lessons Learned, that I got horribly stuck on one of my latest WIPs.

The culprit: Leaf Kimono Top from the summer 2008 IK.
The problem: lace decreases

In my defense, I think my brain is still on hiatus. You know, it hasn't had to really think in a fair few months. Sure, it figured out how to purl correctly and cable without a needle, but teasing out how these decreases work and stay in pattern from written instructions seems to be too much for it right now. Kinda like those word problems in math.

So, what happened? I decided to frog. I didn't do it immediately because I couldn't believe I'd been defeated by lace. So I just took the needles off the cable, and started searching Ravelry for help. And I did find some in an old KAL thread where the designer came in and explained how these worked (good to know I wasn't the only one completely thrown by the decreases!). But still it made no sense, so I just put everything away.

Of course, bad knitting dreams followed. But I woke up, thought about it some more and decided to tink back the decrease rows I've done (thankfully, not many), and practice the decreases on some scrap yarn. Sounds like a plan, no? Haven't done it yet, but at least I changed the project status from the hasty and angry 'FROGGED!' to 'hibernating' on Rav.

In the meantime, I'll just keep at the Point Gammon Pullover, but more on that in another post ....

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That's actually a classic study tactic that no one ever believes - sleep on it because your brain will ruminate on it while you sleep and you will eventually find a solution. I've read a few articles about that and all of my professors have been telling me the same thing. I hope it works out!

Also, I'm sharing with you that the capcha is "ratusi" because I think it's a funny one.

Sandra said...

Thanks! Yeah, these ruminating dreams can be helpful ... I just dislike the sense of panic and frustration that comes with the bad knitting ones!

lol re 'ratusi'