Tuesday, August 5, 2008

WIPs



I spent the weekend working on the back panel of Hey, Teach! after fixing my SIL's Little Lace Shrug (from Pam Allen's Little Silk Shrug pattern). This was actually helpful in that both use cotton yarns. I added a bit of length to the shrug which allowed me to incorporate the decreases in the edging that the pattern calls for, but I can't say I'm particularly pleased with it. I should've used a stretchier bind off and perhaps omitted the final decreases in the bind off row itself. The opening is tighter than I'd like, and I have a narrower back than SIL does. I think I'll talk to her and see if she can bring it by again this weekend so I can fix that row.

I've learned quite a bit about the inelasticity and drape of cotton with these two pojects which is quite useful. I seem to need to see these things in practice rather than read about it in a book or magazine. I swatched for Hey, Teach and got gauge on size 9/5.5mm. In the stockinette this looks fine, but the knit stitches open on the 1x1 rib, which is slightly annoying (you can see this in the pic if you click on it--it'll give you the larger size). I'm hoping a bit of blocking will help this, but perhaps going with a size 8/5mm needle and working a larger pattern size would've helped with this? I'm not sure. The same thing happened with the cotton blend yarn I used on the Columbine Peaks socks, again in the rib portion. Has this happened to anyone else?

4 comments:

Mari said...

It looks good. I wouldn't worry about it. Love the color, btw. I have some brown Cotton Fleece that I am going to use to make one. Eventually.

TheBlackSheep said...

Yeah, I think I have, but I didn't worry about it. I think I just figured it was a knitting thing.

So, now that I've been throroughly unhelpful, it looks great!

Ally Jay said...

It looks fine, but I've always found that for me I have to knit a bigger size when using cotton, usually at least one size up. if I change the needles I get gaps. Blocking will help.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Alison! I'll keep that in mind for future projects.