Tuesday, November 6, 2007

writing to knit

That's how it's been feeling lately. I work on the dissertation, sometimes begrudgingly, sometimes quite frustratingly, sticking to my self-appointed work time just so that I can chuck it all in by 10pm and "legally" take out my knitting. Still, last week's trip to Hampshire was very productive diss-wise and it's spilling over into my writing, which is always a good thing. And! I even remembered to take the wedding shrug with me! Not that I got much knitting done since I was basically up and out by 8am to breakfast and hit the road to Chawton by 9.15a to be at the library by 10. Chawton House library is utterly fantastic and I'm really glad I spent a few days working there. But being conscious so early meant I was in bed much earlier than is normal for me so I really only worked a few rounds on the shrug all week. Saturday, however, saw much greater progress since the weekends are diss-free. I'm now knitting the flat part of the pattern for the left shoulder and back, still screwing up now and again but I'm finding that fixing mistakes in lace is not as difficult as I once thought. Maybe I'm becoming a pro. :p

Toting about my knitting made me realize, I really need a knitting bag. I used a small bag from the Shakespeare Trust to tote the shrug in and while it did the job, it just wasn't knitterly and cute, you know? I grabbed the pattern for the Knitting Needle Knitting Bag last week or so, but I've also had my eye on KP's Total Tote (in the lime green, of course). Alas, to be a poor grad student who has to budget books and yarn. We shall see. Maybe I'll win the lottery one day.

Woops! Break time's over; back to the writing grind!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Could the Total Tote be a Christmas prezzie from someone? :D

I just use various totebags I have around the house: a smallish purple one with a butterfly is my to-go knitting bag and the fabbity pineapple bag Mag gave me is my at home bag. I also use my Immeritus tote bag when I need another bag. But the KP tote would be awesome!