Sunday, January 17, 2010

the long and windy yarn!

In my rambly zeal yesterday, I forgot to mention an exciting piece of knitterly news! I am now the proud owner of this:



I am very excited! It's a medium sized bamboo swift and I got it on ebay so it hasn't arrived yet. I've purchased from this seller (bambooimporter) before though and have been quite happy with their products. I ended up paying less than what Knit Picks charges for theirs, BUT, of course, with shipping it came out to almost as much as Knit Picks charges. I still paid a little less though. I'll let you know what I think of it once it arrives.

The Circle Socks continue to come along. I'm on the leg of the first sock and am, once again, finding purling on small needles a pain. Having several slipped stitches continually slipped for several rounds is also making life interesting. It makes for a visually interesting leg, and I have a feeling they'll help keep the leg of the sock from slouching down when worn, but it makes things tight and fiddly as I knit. Oh well, I think it'll be worth it in the end.

4 comments:

TheBlackSheep said...

*is green. very, very green*

Cool! Let me know how it works!

ladyrook said...

Very nice indeed

...

but what exactly does it do? :D

FERREAVOX said...

Hey, can you help me? I figure out what is this, because we have one of this here in my work and nobody knew what it is, till I find a similar on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZBnsvDNBI Anyway, I would like to know if the name of this machine is "wool winder" and if you know if is there a "translation" origin of the name or even a real translation in any other language not English to continue my research on it. Thank you in advance!
Renato

Sandra said...

Hi Renato, yes, the apparatus that looks like an umbrella is called a "swift." It is used to place hanks of yarn or wool onto it, as the video demonstrates. The yarn is then threaded through the metal eye hook of the second apparatus, called a "wool winder" or "yarn winder." The crank on the winder is turned and the loose yarn is then wound into a cake of yarn, or "obillo" in Spanish (not sure what it's called in Portguese). I hope this helps! ~Sandra