Friday, September 11, 2009

of socks and sizes

I submitted my 3rd content chapter yesterday so took the day off today. :) What better way to pass the afternoon watching a little baseball but to knit? I'm working on the first of the toe socks and as I started knitting the foot, it hit me that this is the first pair of socks that I'm making where I don't have the person they're for at hand to make sure the socks fit well. So, I went off in search of a handy chart and I came across this one by Catherine Goodwin of Knitting Anyway. It looks very useful. But it occurred to me to ask if any of you have a favorite way of sizing socks for absent feet. Feel free to share!

2 comments:

Tara said...

I use a chart very similar to that one (it's in the Vogue Knitting Socks book). If I'm unsure of even a person's shoe size, I go with an average woman, so about a size 7, then eyeball it a little bigger and make sure I use a stretchy pattern.

TheBlackSheep said...

I usually try and find out the shoe size and then add or subtract a half inch per size in relation to my own foot. I think I read somewhere that that's the approx. way to do it. If not, I'm just winging it. Would that surprise you?