Monday, June 23, 2008

heat wave

It's summer. All past mini heat waves tried to warn us. Now, there's no going back. Last week and over the weekend we averaged at 107 Fahrenheit. That's about 43 Celsius. Gorgeous clear, blue skies, beautiful sunshine, and baking heat. Somehow, I don't think this should be allowed. How can you enjoy summer weather when it's this baking? Today, we're at a cool 98 degrees. Excuse me while I adjust the fan.

All this means that progress on Eris has halted. I did finally rip out the cuff on the first sleeve last week (at night, thankyouverymuch!) and added another two inches to the sleeve, and reknit the cuff over the weekend (again, at night, and with the A/C running). All that's left is closing the cuff, knitting the entire second sleeve, a bit of pseudo-blocking (acrylic, you do what you can), and the zipper (which looks closer to being sent out to be put in that sewing it in myself). I'd really like to be done with this already so I may suck it up and work on it this week. Maybe.

Last week I went to Angels Stadium to catch my NY Mets vs the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim .... excuse me while I roll my eyes yet again at that unnecessarily long team name, we'll just call them what they really are, the Anaheim Angels, yes?



We had pretty good seats--I could ogle David Wright to my hearts' content--and I even took some knitting with me for a little Stitch and Pitch action. Of course, without the play-by-play from the announcers, I found concentrating on the game absolutely necessary. The poor second Columbine sock stayed in my little green knitting bag, still unfinished. It was a compelling game!! The Mets had the lead through the 5th until Oliver Perez decided to pull an Oliver Perez and gave it back and the go ahead run. It stayed 4-3 until the top of the 9th when D. Wright came through (and made me love him more!) by smacking a base hit that brought Jose Reyes home to tie it up. Damion Easley won it for us with a solo homerun in the 10th. Game over. Gripping baseball, I tell ya!

On the way out of the stadium, we saw this:



The Angels' 2002 World Series trophy. Ain't it purty? I'd never seen the WS trophy this close-up. It was pretty thrilling. I rooted my heart out for this team in the 2002 series, Rally Monkey and all. Please to ignore the fact that I'm a die-hard Mets fan; I'm a transplant, I have my California teams too.

So, knitting has mostly become focused on small, light projects that do not smother me in heat adding yarns. Like the Lace Ribbon Scarf which is coming along nicely.



Pretty, no? I'm happy with it so far. And considering I've still got about 3/4 of that sock yarn skein left, I'm going to be at it for some time still. And I'll be casting on the Luna Moth and Seascape shawls soon too.

For now, though, it's back to Emma and the dissertation. And staying cool.

No comments: